Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Guest Post Series: Rachel's Sauteed Veggies with Chicken

Hello everyone! One of my oldest, dearest, and most hilarious friends has agreed to write a weekly guest post for the summer!  Rachel is the author of the blog Jams 'N Honey, and is both a fitness and gastronomic guru.  Each week, she'll be sharing a fitness tip, or one of her delicious, inexpensive, and easy-to-make recipes.  I'm so looking forward to having her here on The Nowhere Years! --m.

Hello lovely readers! My name is Rachel and I am beyond excited to be guest blogging. A little about me:

1. I am, unabashedly, a nerd
2. I am addicted to magazines and nail polish (it is actually a problem…)
3. I love to cook, preferably while singing along to my Pandora station of the moment
4. I am a spinning instructor
5. My current goal is to become a zen goddess. I am not entirely sure what this entails, but I recently bought some scented candles so I figure I am on my way…

So, now that we have the introductions out of the way, I wanted to share a recipe for one of my favorite summer dinners: Sautéed Veggies with Chicken. This is the simplest of dishes, but it is healthful and oh so satisfying.

For the chicken:
I am all about ease when it comes to cooking, so when preparing chicken, I rely on my dear old friend George Foreman. If you don’t have one of these lean, mean, grilling machines I highly recommend investing in one. For this particular recipe, I simply season one piece of boneless skinless chicken with garlic salt and pepper and grill it on the George Foreman for 10 minutes.

For the veggies:
First things first, grab whatever veggies you have in the fridge. My favorite combination is spinach, mushrooms, red onion, and eggplant. I don’t worry too much about measurements when it comes to vegetables, because, really, can you ever have too many? Wash and chop the veggies to your liking.

Once the veggies are ready to go, heat up about 2 tablespoons of EVOO (so Rachael Ray right now…) in a non-stick skillet on high heat. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, as well as a bit of minced garlic (I keep a jar of this stuff in my fridge to save on preparation time) to the skillet and mix. After about a minute, toss in all of the veggies EXCEPT THE SPINACH, stirring occasionally. Spinach cooks super quickly so add if after 4-5 minutes (the other vegetables should be well on their way to caramelize-ation at this point). Cook until the spinach is nice and wilted (about 2 minutes), and you’re done! For a little something extra add , add a few sun-dried tomatoes. So easy, so delicious, so versatile!

No comments:

Post a Comment