Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Guest Post Series: Rachel's "Crazy with Kale"

Surreptitiously placed in the produce aisle between bunches of spinach and arugula is the oft-forgotten dark leafy green: kale.   

Until recently, I, like many grocery store shoppers, neglected kale, opting for more familiar greens- broccoli, romaine lettuce, and even swiss chard.   However, after reading article after article in Self, Women’s Fitness, and Shape magazines (I told you- I HEART magazines!) extolling the benefits of this superfood, I decided to face my culinary fears and cook with kale!  Let me tell you, I have not been disappointed.  Not only is kale healthful, rich in vitamins and minerals, particularly vitamin A and calcium, it is delish!  

Kale is to me what shrimp is to Bubba from Forrest Gump.  Kale is just about as versatile as shrimp, which is a major feat because, as eloquently stated by Bubba, himself, “you can barbecue shrimp, boil it, broil it, bake it, sauteé it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich."  Below are a few of my fave kale recipes.  I’m sorry to report that I have not yet found a recipe for kale burgers (I know, you’re heartbroken…) but, nonetheless, enjoy and get your kale on!  



 Photos via Orangette and 101 Cookbooks

No comments:

Post a Comment