Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A New Year's Resolution

I realize that it is a bit late... but, who cares?  It's only a few days.  I don't think I've ever actually made a New Year's resolution.  For some reason, this one popped into my head yesterday while I was driving and listening to the wonderful show Out of the Box on WHRO (89.5 FM Monday through Friday 7-9 PM, for yall from Williamsburg).  He plays the most fabulous new music.  Local stuff, Indie rock stuff-- just your general small-band-awesomeness.  I digress.  So, the New Year's resolution?

No more self-deprecating remarks.

I do this far too often.  I don't know why it happens.  Perhaps it stems from a fear that the world will find me a conceited snob?  And, while I do believe that this is a genuine reason, I also believe that many of us are self-deprecating to a fault.  

Why are we so concerned about how others perceive us?  I have a bunch of fabulous friends (not to mention family!) that are probably going to be stickin' around for a while.  They all accept me regardless of my faults.  So, why not be content and be as much of myself as I can?

So, no more, "Yeah... Isn't it sad how much I like Star Wars even though I'm a girl...."  For God's sake! I love Star Wars!  As a matter of fact, I freely admit that I am an avid lover of the fantasy holy trinity: Star Wars, Lord of The Rings, and Harry Potter.  And, I will not say it as though I think it's a bad thing. (This sci-fi t-shirt is hilarious and I want it soooo badly.)

From now on, I'm going to do my utmost to avoid tainting my words and attempting to appear a particular way.  Nope.  I'm just going to state the facts-- pure and simple.

In honor of the new year here is one of my favorite new-year-scenes (which will probably make absolutely no sense to anyone who hasn't seen this movie, one of my all-time-favorites: Out of Africa):




1 comment:

  1. you need to read the meryl streep article in that vanity fair we (you) bought. it's basically meryl streep talking about how she decided to not make/have depricating thoughts about herself a long time ago and how that's made her who she is.

    ReplyDelete