Monday, January 10, 2011

Hence, Now is the Time to Begin

I like to write. However, I rarely have opportunity to do so. I mean, I journal and scribble down random whacked out ideas in said journals (unlined pocket sized Moleskine notebooks...naturally.) My savior last semester was a writing class, "Personal Essay". Our teacher, "Lorna", conducted us in an hour of soul-searching. Then we'd write essays about our discoveries and read them aloud for discussion. I'm rather embarrassed to admit the extent to which I relish soul-searching, day-dreaming, pondering, and the like. Despite their cheesiness--they do provide a fabulous outlet for whatever clouds your head. It's like what Lewis Carroll wrote:

"Alice laughed. 'There's no use trying,' she said 'one can't believe impossible things.'

'I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. 'When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."


Thank goodness for dreaminess. Unfortunately, this semester I will have no such outlet. There isn't any room in my schedule. You see, save some lone section of abstract algebra, my major is probably the farthest one could get from a creative writing class. I'm a Vocal Performance major. The majority of my life is spent frequenting a building with a room fondly referred to as "The Diva Lounge"--where the singers hang out. Don't get me wrong. I love it. I like to sing. It's quite nice. But, it does get a bit tiresome spending day in and day out in a place where there is a constant cacophony of sound and a continually unbridled discussion of its production. Everyone needs an outlet of some kind. And, I suppose this blog shall be mine.

I never really thought I'd ever attempt this sort of thing. It's a funky little medium the blog. But, it is the beginning of a new year. Hence, now is the time to begin.

PS. I promise here and now never to use the terms "bloggie" or "bloglet" or any of their derivatives. Also, I'll take this moment to apologize for any future grammar mistakes--however horrid they may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment