Tuesday, October 11, 2011

What's in a name?

I love the names of old houses.  They pack such character, you know?  I mean, one of my more frequented day dreams may or may not be if I were to have a Dickensian manor what would I name it...?  What would you name yours?  Something wistful or something with grit?  In case you require inspiration, here is a list of some of my favorite "House" names in literature... (Some of them are so creepy, I love it!)

Manderely
From Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca
"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again."
Wuthering Heights
From Emily Brontë's Wuthering Heights (Obviously...)
"Wuthering Heights is the name of Mr. Heathcliff's dwelling. 'Wuthering' being a significant provincial adjective, descriptive of the atmospheric tumult to which its station is exposed in stormy weather." 
Thornfield Hall
From Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre
“I did not like re-entering Thornfield. To pass its threshold was to return to stagnation, to cross the silent hall, to ascend the darksome staircase, to seek my own lonely little room..."
Orchard House
From Louisa May Alcott's Little Women


Green Gables, Windy Poplars, and Ingleside
From L.M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables series
"The night was clear and frosty, all ebony of shadow and silver of snowy slope; big stars were shining over the silent fields; here and there the dark pointed firs stood up with snow powdering their branches and the wind whistling through them."
Tara
From Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind
“The land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for, because it's the only thing that lasts"
Pemberley
From Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice

No comments:

Post a Comment